Trusts and Estates 2020/21
Trusts and Estates 2020/21 is a practical and accessible reference book that provides clear guidance on compliance and operation under current law and is indispensable when starting, running or ending a trust, or dealing with a deceased's estate.
The 2020/21 edition has been updated to Finance Act 2020 and includes the following:
- Updated commentary to reflect the Government confirmation that legislation will be introduced in Finance Bill 2020-21 which will introduce a 2% surcharge from 1 April 2021 for non-UK residents purchasing residential property in the UK
- The Administration of Estates Act 1925 (Fixed Net Sum) Order 2020, which increases the statutory legacy in intestate estates from £250,000 to £270,000 from 6 February 2020
- Online CGT Return and the Finance Act 2019 compliance application to UK and non-UK resident PRs/Trustees
- Updated commentary reflecting the provisions from Finance Bill 2020-21 that UK and non-UK resident PRs who sell a residential property that gives rise to a CGT liability must send a stand-alone tax return to HMRC and pay any CGT due within 30 days of completion of the sale
- Case law - Mackay v Wesley 
EWHC 1215 (Ch) (18 May 2020) – application to rescind Trustee appointment
Written by two of the leading experts in this field, Trusts and Estates 2020/21enables practitioners to gain a better understanding of current tax law so they can confidently organise their clients' financial affairs in a tax-efficient and compliant manner.
This accessible reference guide has a user-friendly structure with 'signposts' at the beginning of each chapter to summarise key topics and 'focus points' throughout to highlight important issues, as well as numerous worked examples demonstrating how to apply the main principles in practice.
Last update: April 2021
Next update due: July 2021